Family Business Consultant
Get My Master Plan for a High Performing Business - Free!
Consulting Firm for Family Run Businesses in Houston, Dallas, and Austin Supporting Companies Nationwide
Family businesses are typically made up of people who have bootstrapped their business with their blood, sweat, and tears in order to create income opportunities for themselves and family. A family business owner may or may not intend to create a legacy, to pass on to family members either the business itself or the income from the future sale of the business. Each family business has its own unique set of priorities.
The hard reality is that family business is a challenging affair.
The Challenge of Family Business
1. All the usual business challenges
Building reputation & market share
Intelligence & business savvy
2. Family dynamics that may have nothing to do with business – where people with long, complex histories, both functional and dysfunctional dynamics, are working in close proximity
3. Family considerations that affect roles, performance and peace of mind, and can make objective business decisions challenging
4. What works in a family may or may not work in a business, and vice versa
5. Having a close relationship with someone, positive or negative, can thwart business objectivity
6. Family members who fail to perform adequately, or who do not align with company values, may put the business or a department at risk – and are more complicated to coach up or coach out
7. State and Federal laws and regulations require that all employees be treated equally and fairly, based on performance and role – not relationship.
8. Exit Strategy Planning presents ownership/authority/role transition issues and priorities unique to each family
Because of these challenges, having the assistance of a seasoned, objective family business consultant – who is experienced and knowledgeable about what does and doesn’t work in family business – can be instrumental in clarifying what is needed so that each family member can contribute at their highest level and the business can meet its goals and potential.
Role of Family Business Consultant
1. Look respectfully and carefully at the needs of all involved
2. Help family members clarify and align around unified Vision, Mission, Values, and Goals for the business.
3. Determine how to make the needs of the individual family members work within the business structure of authority, delegation, and accountability
4. Support business owners to respect family dynamics & relationships while sorting out what needs to be done in the business
5. Support the company leadership in managing the “business of the business” to meet all business challenges and goals
6. Exit Strategy Planning – manage the exit of family business leaders, and the family dynamics in such a way that competent, prepared people are placed in control, thus keeping the business viable and sustainable. Accelerated training may be required for an identified, capable family or non-family member to competently take over the helm.
Business Whisperer leadership has worked with Family Businesses since 2003 and our testimonials reflect our remarkable success in helping them moving their family businesses forward to greater success. Contact us for our family business references and speak directly to our clients whose lives we have changed for the better.
Our Customer Stories
Carlos Ramirez, Jr., President, Colorado Countertops
Jerry is very knowledgeable, very experienced. We have tried several other consultants that have claimed to be able to resolve family dynamic concerns and they have failed. Jerry, you on the other hand, have really helped us. You have been very productive in resolving family dynamic drama and most importantly, you have helped keep us… on track. You have demonstrated how to be productive in meetings by helping us define conflict and develop solutions that fit with our resources. Also, most importantly you have been able to engage our majority owner to participate effectively in business and family decisions to really be the decision maker he needs to be for things to work. I highly recommend you to any family business owner who needs support to work through family challenges while making a business successful. On a personal level you have really stepped up to be a mentor on my journey to be a president. You encouraging me to participate on a new level with positive family dynamics outside of business has had a huge impact on my life. Read more “Carlos Ramirez, Jr., President, Colorado Countertops”
Jeff Murray, President, CEO, White Mountain Foods
I had recently taken over control of the family business and wanted to grow it, but had no clear path forward. Mr. Llewellyn provided me with the tools that gave me the confidence of a firm foundation in business. Within three years my profit grew by 1000% allowing me to add and keep quality critical… staff which led to even greater profit, currently at a 2000% increase over the 2007 level. I would highly recommend Mr. Llewellyn to anyone seeking help with any size business, from simple advice and consulting, to running your company for you. Read more “Jeff Murray, President, CEO, White Mountain Foods”
"Jerry you have brought my business to life. You REALLY are the business whisperer!” - William Tuell, CEO, Saturn Returns LLC
It All Starts With a Call...